Friday, December 1, 2017

Green Corset - Part 3


Here we are! The final photos of the finished corset (which I like to call the 'Slytherin Green Corset'). It was quite an adventure stitching this creation, but I'm very happy with how it turned out!



It's quite difficult to sew creations like this and then send them off. I took a bajillion photos of this one.




Here you can see the lace and embellishments I added.



If I were to do this corset again I would have it come down further over the hips for better support.


And here is a look at the back lacing!



I was interested to learn that even with a front closing busk, a corset like this still needs to be laced and unlaced with each wearing. You cannot really close the front busk without unlacing the corset. But it is SO much easier to get in and out of because you don't have to unlace it all the way, just a lot of the way. ;)




This project was also my first time using steel boning for a corset. Although I'd used it for a hoopskirt before, all of my boned bodices used the more flexible plastic boning. Steel makes for a much better support system!

As I mentioned before, this piece was made as a gift for a friend, and another friend contributed to the financial side of the gift to help provide special corset fixings like the busk and the boning. It was a real treat to be able to work with these pieces! The busk was purchased from BiasBespoke. I chose to go with Period Corsets for the boning, as they sell lots in multiple sizes (your choice) which was necessary for me as my fibro wasn't going to allow me to cut boning (and I wasn't ready to invest in a good cutting tool anyhow).  As I am not an experienced corset-maker, I can't judge these sources well, but I felt that I got good quality for very good prices and good service.



Here is a look at the finished interior of the corset.







I don't know that I would ever make such an involved piece as a gift again, but I am really glad that I did it this time! I still have SO much to learn about corset-making, but this really taught me some things and helped give me a good idea of what I need to improve next time.

Interested in reading more costume diaries? 

No comments: